Also consider who/when will backups be done. Not for DR, most cloud providers have that covered, but when you run that SQL that suddenly destroys data that needs to be put back, or a program in a long running process stops in the middle, or even recovering that source member you mistakenly deleted this morning…. I could go on for a while on this one. How is that all handled? Do you have any control or input into it?

The other thing that we don’t yet understand completely is how the change to subscriptions for smaller systems is going to change the equation. Will the subscriptions for the larger systems suddenly be cost prohibitive? We simply don’t know, in spite of what the vendors will tell you. IBM has to fully roll out the program and make some announcements before that will become clear.

What other systems need to go with it, MS systems almost always stand side by side with IBM i. How will communications work? The providers will promise the moon, and the planets to get you in, since it’s really hard to get out, and potentially very expensive.

I have a customer with a large ERP that took over a year, just to get the ancillary systems some on premises and others in remote locations to connect without massive communications delays and problems.

The “cloud” is really just a location of the hardware. Is the maintenance of the physical location really costing that much? Think really hard before you go that route, since it’s not a one or three or even five year decision, it’s much longer than that.

I’d wait for a while to get some answers before making that jump, and I know there are several cloud providers that read this list that will have comment about my misgivings about the “cloud”. Think the old client/server days when the promise was lower costs and better service. Turned out in the end to be precisely the opposite, far more complex, and costly. That’s why we went back to centralized data centers. History is a great teacher if you let it be.

Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects