Hello Jim,

Am 27.09.2023 um 00:42 schrieb Jim Oberholtzer <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

The “cloud” is really just a location of the hardware. Is the maintenance of the physical location really costing that much? Think really hard before you go that route, since it’s not a one or three or even five year decision, it’s much longer than that.

Thanks for making this clear! Especially "cloud" as a foggy "dunno where our data is located" for all those shiny web dev startups is something completely different than IBM i "cloud", which is primarily a trendy name for "managed hardware".

I know there are several cloud providers that read this list that will have comment about my misgivings about the “cloud”.

Maybe because cloud isn't what they do at all but call it cloud?

Think the old client/server days when the promise was lower costs and better service. Turned out in the end to be precisely the opposite, far more complex, and costly. That’s why we went back to centralized data centers. History is a great teacher if you let it be.

Amen!

:wq! PoC