On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 3:46 PM, Charles Wilt <charles.wilt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey Buck,

Did you see the list of utilities shipped in 5733-OPS, option 3 GCC?
http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh101415-story01.html

* pcre

That's an impressive list. I take it that it's a screenshot from Tim
Rowe's COMMON Europe presentation?

It looks as though it's *exactly* what Buck was describing, not just
PCRE but "everything needed to build [predominantly Linux] open-source
software".

That is, "PASE + 5733-OPS Option 3" looks to be the "fixed/upgraded
PASE" Buck was talking about. Or at least a substantial step directly
toward it.

So, I'm still left wondering:

Mainly, just how custom are options 1 and 2 (Node.js and Python 3.4)?
If the answer is "not at all" or "practically not at all", then it
kinda seems they might as well have done this latest bundle first.
(And possibly not bothered with the earlier two at all. Well, maybe
the other two would just consist of the toolkits for interfacing with
the native i stuff.)

Less importantly, (1) Why is there a "python-2.6.8-1" in there?! and
(2) boy, it seems there are a lot of typos and "production errors" on
that slide. For example, I guess gcc-gfortranm is not supposed to have
the trailing 'm'; wget was probably not intended to show up twice;
etc. Are the trailing apostophes and hyphens some newfangled Unix
convention I never learned*, or are they just typos? Sorry, hard to
shut off the nit-picker in me.

John Y.

*For the record, I am definitely a Unix dinosaur, so it wouldn't take
much to be "newfangled". I never considered myself a Unix expert in
the first place, and I stopped working with Unix before bash, Linux,
or Perl became popular.