On 10/9/2015 5:10 PM, Vernon Hamberg wrote:

Things are not as you might think they are - IBM are not modifying
anything if they don't have to - that's why they are putting out GCC
(just announced) - they had to, so that they could compile in PASE,
unchanged, the source for these new open-source things. (Google for "ibm
i open source ops gcc" sans quotes.)

I've been running gcc on IBM i from the V5R3 days. ish. Having gcc is
only one piece of the puzzle to get OSS compiled in PASE. Make,
automake, awk, etc. 5799-PTL helps A LOT but after compiling there are
still hurdles that PASE itself puts in the way.

So they are taking the stuff straight in and compiling as-is - WITHOUT
modifying PASE, for the most part.

I understand. I have some stuff I've compiled without modifying PASE in
any way :-) curl 7.13, RPM 3.0.5, and GNU gzip 1.2.4 are examples. I
also have some stuff that won't compile under PASE at all. PCRE 8.33
and PCRE2 10.10 are examples.

What I wish is that they WOULD modify PASE to make it more
Linux-friendly. When PCRE compiles, I'll be happy. er. Happier.
Yeah, PASE is probably targeted toward the Unix / AIX ISV but I'm not
one of those; what I use PASE for... it's close, so close!

These are definitely NOT IBM i forks. Spoons, now, maybe!

I know, that wasn't very knife of me to say!

Thanks for the smile after a long week!