Thanks for the info. Basically the task at hand here is this.....I've
already written a program for this project where I am copying data from a
particular library to another library. The criteria for this copy is files
having a company number field in them, and that company number having a
certain value. This is allowing us to copy data out of a test environment
so that when a refresh of data from production occurs our test data is

The next piece is what I'm doing now, which requires us to take this data
that's been copied to a "work" library and be able to change the company
number value to something else if we want to. So this is where I'm doing
the DSPFFD to figure out the company number field names. They can vary -
they can be something like CONO10, or CONO20, etc. So that's why I use the
DSPFFD results because it will give me the field names dynamically.

So you're saying that using SYSCOLUMNS improves on that functionality then?