On 05-Aug-2014 10:16 -0500, Briggs, Trevor (TBriggs2) wrote:
<<SNIP>> if Job A issues an update that causes a long-running trigger
to fire and then Job B issues an update to the same file, then Job
B's program will wait (the default wait time for the file?) and, if
it cannot successfully update in that time, the update operation will
fail?

No. A Job-B that performs an update to a different row of the same file that Job-A had updated [and for which the trigger program was activated in Job-A], will be unaffected by the trigger activation in Job-A. They are distinct[ly triggered] events that will operate concurrently just like any two distinct updates [non-conflicting; not to the same row] of the same file in different threads\jobs.

The other thread\job will wait for any particular row being updated in the original thread\job, but then, the wait is the Record Wait (WAITRCD) rather than File Wait (WAITFILE) or Default Wait (DFTWAIT) time. Trigger activations are allowed concurrently; effectively the same as I/O without triggers, so the two jobs operating against different rows have no conflict with regard to triggers generally. Only if the trigger program was coded to do something specific for which some concurrency is a problem [or otherwise maybe the concurrent work just exhibits inhibited results due to some contention that allows sufficient wait time to alleviate the contentious work while not also exceeding the minimum length of time allowed for a triggered operation to complete].

So at issue is, that whatever the trigger program does [what the programmer coded the trigger program to do], may or may not allow for any particular level of concurrency; as user-coded, the onus is on the programmer of the trigger to understand what concurrency issues their code [which just happens to be encapsulated in a trigger program] might have. And in the example from the OP, part of that work is a CLRPFM [obviously of some file member other than the one for the triggered I/O] which hardly allows for concurrency; that work must be serialized at the member-level for the data, not at the record-level. The programmer of the trigger program has the option to resolve that potential issue however they see fit; again, the DB has no issue with concurrency due solely to a trigger program being defined and active.

So, that is potentially even more dangerous than just causing a
slow-down in updates. My gut feeling is that you can never just "bolt
on" a trigger program to a file without evaluating the potential
effect on every program that touches the file.

Any function\code change should be reviewed and tested as such; for whatever impacts that code change will have on other programs. In the case of a trigger operating at database-level, then any program that interfaces with that file for the triggered I/O has _a potential_ to be impacted. But for typical business logic that was moved from a program into the database to be performed via a trigger, the impact often is limited mostly to those programs that [might] perform that same or similar business logic that has been moved into the trigger; for the most part, changes to avoid duplicating\doubling the effect of any work that was moved into the trigger. The slight delay for the triggered I/O and then either a nearly unnoticeable amount of time for perform the actual triggered work or even a somewhat extended delay for more complex work are usually /noticed/ by other code only as a slightly longer record lock time-held such that not even increasing Wait Record Timeout (WAITRCD) is required because the delay\wait is just slightly increased; except old database files created prior to that attribute being increased to 60-seconds, for which IIRC the WAITRCD(*IMMED) might have any slowdowns registered as record-lock timeouts.

And for most triggers implementing some business logic, there is often little concern except for impact to batch operations [i.e. a "slow-down"], for which deactivating or removing the trigger is often desirable when also running both with the assumption that the batch work does not require the business logic and the batch access prevents any concurrent [non-batch] I/O that should have the business logic applied; the effect of the business logic that was pushed down into the database may be undesirable to be performed for certain batched updates, either because the batch updates have been coded explicitly to perform that same business logic already [knowing the triggers are best deactivated in advance] or because performing some _external actions_ [such as sending email notifications] might be inappropriate within batched updates as contrasted with when those updates transpire during normal operations.