Larry wrote:

[...]
As to management not buying it because developers don't demand it.....
AGAIN I'm not picking on you but..... DILBERT! Management should be
DEMANDING their staff use such tools. Directing them to be more
efficient. Sure developers should be asking for better tools and better
training etc but it's management's direction that should be leading
staff to ILE and RDi and SQL and and and....

Larry -

Management? Ha!

We have a 3-user floating license and are currently trying to get RDi installed on our workstations (I have the trial version installed) and going thru the bureaucratic pain of getting approval from the company to set up the Rational License server. It requires at least four documents to be prepared and approved by various levels of management.

One of our developers today contacted one of our European IBM i developers (they are in another group) and inquired about whether or not they are using RDi. The European developers work in Switzerland - he replied 'corporate rules prohibit installing that software..."

;-(

-sjl