From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:11 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Fix Central and Download director

Download Director, when it works correctly, is wonderful. It has a few
issues like it downloads to your PC rather than directly to the system
and the downloaded file names make no sense whatever. The biggest issue
though is the hail of java updates recently means only 1 in 5 times can
I even get the thing to run.

FTP however I have used since the dawn of Fix Central. Scripts on i that
need only the directory name dropped in pull the PTFs directly to the
the proper directory. No interference on my PC, uses bandwidth at the
office not at home, and while it's not as fast for a single file (max
about 650KB or so) I can run a big ole bunchfull of them in parallel and
they each get that amount.

At one time the chief coder for Fix Central bought Jim O and I lunch at
a COMMON conference as we had been helping them with design issues and
testing. He informed us that IBM was intending to drop the FTP option.
Our reaction was swift and in total agreement: "No WAY! Who do we have
to call!!!" Must have worked, FTP is still there!

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis