What in Heaven's name was IBM thinking?

I'm sure (even though I'm waiting for the box with the source to IPL, before I can check the statement that's throwing it) this is what I've already seen too many times before: a keyed PF (with or without keyed logicals) not having its access path ready by the time it was needed.

How could they possibly NOT expect that a program would be restoring a file from a save file, then immediately repopulating it?

Anybody have any suggestions on how to prevent this?

--
JHHL