Jim mentioned the timeout for the user. I don't use that much as it's a PITA. One of my customers has it set and it's been a wreck for them.

What I see MUCH more commonly is that the firewall is dumping the connection. There is no traffic on port 2300 for a time and *POOF* the connection is gone.

TWO things I do about this. First is if possible have a shared session at the HMC itself already running. Then lock the HMC console screen. This way if you DO get disconnected you can re-attach to the local session which is still connected to the server. If you can't do that perhaps RDP to a workstation or server locally will work for you.

Second thing is if you can get your firewall guys to add a snippet that prevents connections on port 2300 from timing out. This needs to be on both ends if you're on a point to point tunnel. For Cisco ASA the code is mostly like below. WARNING: clearly you don't want to simply paste this into your firewall. :-)

!=====================================================
! This is the port we want to watch for traffic on.
access-list HMC_Console extended permit tcp any any eq 2300
class-map HMC_5250
description HMC Console Connections
match access-list HMC_Console
policy-map global_policy
class HMC_5250
! Here we are telling the firewall not to time out those
! sessions that mach this class.
set connection timeout idle 0:00:00
service-policy global_policy interface inside

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com