Another option to look at is "Allow console takeover".
I am following the instructions in the Knowledge center on installing IBM
i on a new partition.
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/api/content/ssw_ibm_i_71/rzahc/newnos.htm

The important step below is g - Select 1 (Yes) or 2 (No) for the option to
allow the console to be taken over by another console in the event of a
5250 console failure

8. The IPL or Install the System menu appears on your console.
If you have not already done so, set the console mode for your system:

a At the IPL or Install the system display, select option 3 to access
Dedicated Service Tools (DST).
b Sign on as security officer (QSECOFR user profile / QSECOFR
password). When prompted, change the password to what you want to use for
this partition.
c Select option 5 (Work with DST environment).
d Select option 2 (System devices).
e Select option 6 (Console mode).
f Select the valid console that you have for this partition.
Note: If you are using Operations Console (LAN) as your console type,
press Enter on the verify window. You can also press F11 to review your
network configuration.
g Select 1 (Yes) or 2 (No) for the option to allow the console to be
taken over by another console in the event of a 5250 console failure (does
not include twinaxial console). When this option is turned on, the system
does not stop with a failure but continues to run uninterrupted. For more
information, see the topic Console takeover and recovery.

h Press Enter and then press F3 to return to the DST main menu.

For more details see:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/systems/scope/hw/index.jsp?topic=/iphbx/consoletakeoverandrecover.htm