In our Wintouch product, we've occasionally had situations where a customer needed a longer field for something that's built into the product. There, the solution is to simply create a longer version as a user-defined field, and then slave the two fields together in the installation-specific programs.

Some years ago, in our QuestView product, I found that my predecessors hadn't provided a big enough field in the internal data structures for (if I remember right) the RRN. And simply expanding the field would have required massive recoding, moving dozens of fields referenced by multiple programs, with massive potential for errors. So (as I recall) I just added a longer version to a place in the structure that was "reserved for future expansion," and (again) slaved the two to each other.

--
JHHL

This thread ...