<snip>
One, we have a mix of users - some have only windows profiles & some ibm
profiles.
</snip>

Are you saying you have users on your IBM i who do not have windows
profiles? I can understand that for QSECOFR and that ilk. You don't
still have twinax do you? You can lament all you want on how you perceive
that to be robust and all but it's boiling down to there are no servers
IBM currently markets which support twinax. So, if you get rid of twinax
to prepare for your server upgrade you may help your profile
synchronization issue.