Sorry, I'm jumping into the middle of this conversation (have not been following it) and I probably should just stay out of it, maybe, but...

an *ICMP route? This occurs when another system sends an ICMP redirect packet to tell your system to use a different route. So it seems strange to me that you say you are changing it yourself... this is not something you would normally edit/setup yourself...?!

Also, I'm wondering what this has to do with the FTP problem you describe. Is 10.5.42.129 the IP address of one of the systems involved?

On 3/22/2014 7:46 PM, Steinmetz, Paul wrote:
The issue is back, the ICMP route was recreated, FTP to 2nd port again failing.

Route Subnet Next Route Type of Route Route Route
Destination Mask Hop Available Service MTU Type Source
10.5.42.129 *HOST 10.5.0.1 *YES *NORMAL 1492 *HOST *ICMP

Paul
From: Steinmetz, Paul
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 11:39 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: FTP intermittanly not working to 2nd iSeries port from PC

Found and resolved the issue.

Route Subnet Next Route Type of Route Route Route
Destination Mask Hop Available Service MTU Type Source
10.5.42.129 *HOST 10.5.0.1 *YES *NORMAL 1492 *HOST *ICMP

ICMP routes needed to be flushed, CFGTCP, option 3, change IP reassembly time-out from 120 to 90 then back to 120.
If an ICMP route previously existed for the 1st port, when the FTP was issued for the 2nd port, the ICMP route was forcing the FTP response to the 1st port, resulting in FTP failure.
I still need to identify how and why an ICMP route is improperly created and flushing needed.
Does anyone routinely flush their ICMP routes?
Are there any negatives or known issues from flushing these routes.
I'm not a network person, I need some help in this area.
IBM suggested I ask our network folks if redirects are enabled for the default gateway.
I have 2 ports, 2 default gateways, I assume both need to be questioned.
*DFTROUTE *NONE 10.5.0.2 10.5.2.5
*DFTROUTE *NONE 10.5.23.254 10.5.23.5