To expand on what Vern said... the system will always dole out descriptors in sequence. First 0, then 1, then 2, etc.

Thing is, you can't really be sure what other programs that have run in your job might do. Sometimes the OS itself will open up 0-2, so you'll get 3 first.

Plus, who knows what other programs you might run that use these things?

So, you should never code your program in a manner that relies on getting particular descriptor numbers. It shouldn't matter to you whether a descriptor number is 0, 3, 571, or any other number...

-1 is an error. Anything higher than -1 is a valid descriptor, and should be considered acceptable.