From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jeff Crosby
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 3:39 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Hard drive failures

All,

System i 520 V7R1
Up to date on PTFS

System unit has 8 4326 drives Raid 5.
Expansion unit has 8 4326 drives Raid 5.

Since September, we've had 5 drive failures:

2013-09-23 DD003
2013-12-18 DD005
2014-02-14 DD004
2014-02-22 DD003
2014-02-25 DD001

All have been in the system unit. DD003 twice. Note that 3 of the
failures are in the last 11 days.

The one that just happened tonight was while bringing up the system after
replacing the internal 5755 tape drive. To add insult to injury, the
system is not recognizing the tape drive, so when the Raid 5 is done
rebuilding we get to start over with the tape drive.

What's causing these drives to fail? Each drive having an isue? Or
something else in the system?