Re: how to operate an HMC

fixed

There are conflicting recommendations on how to hook up your HMC to your
FSP.
There are some people who want you to put your FSP on some super secure
network that never leaves your machine room. The theory being it's ok if
the public can access all of your payroll, ERP, engineering, etc data but
it's curtains for the free world if they can get into your system
configuration. Me, I fail to see why the config has to be locked down
more than that data. Keeping it on such a secure network also disallows
you from remote access to ASMI, which I had to use when reattaching an HMC
that lost some of it's cookies. It also makes it rather tough to put a
redundant HMC in another city to access that FSP. I have:

City A: HMC1. Talks to Power1 in City A and Power2 in City B.
City B: HMC2. Talks to Power2 in City B and Power1 in City A.

I kinda suggest setting it up the way you plan on leaving it.

You really might want to take a glance at that hardware info center link I
sent you.