Re: SAVSYS without a tape drive

fixed

I might be a consultant if my favorite answer is "It Depends."

It Depends. :-)

You CANNOT Boot a virtual tape. No. Can't Do. No way. BUT I sell disk and virtual tape is good at using disk so Save Away!! (DO it twice even!)

You might be able to boot a virtual optical. Two ways:

a) If you host partition can present that image to your client. Such as VIOS or IBM i. Of course this is not useful for a bare metal recovery.

2) If you have a partition that can host the image with NFS and bootp and your server is Power6 or newer and IBM i 7.1 or newer, and you have an HMC. And you know the setup and the startup commands.

SO as others have mentioned you usually don't do SAVSYS a lot, typically after PTFs and upgrades. So if you have at least the SAVSYS on bootable media such as DVD you can get the process started.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com