Re: Create Excel spreadsheet on iSeries unattended in batch mode

fixed

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Steinmetz, Paul <PSteinmetz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Create Excel spreadsheet on iSeries unattended in batch mode
Is there a tool or API to do this.

The choices are numerous. Maybe we should accumulate them into a wiki article.

A popular choice is SQL2POI or SQL2JXL:

http://www.mcpressonline.com/microsoft/techtip-excel-flies-higher-with-jexcelapi.html

Probably most of the Java-only or RPG-and-Java solutions are based on
POI. I can't name them all. Others will chime in I'm sure.

My favorite way to make Excel files on the i, because I'm a Python
programmer, is iSeriesPython plus either xlwt (if .xls is required) or
XlsxWriter (if .xlsx is acceptable).

http://www.iseriespython.com
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/XlsxWriter
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/xlwt

I've built a program to automatically copy data from a physical file
to an Excel file using xlwt (callable from CL, no Python knowledge
required):

https://bitbucket.org/jky/cpytoxlsf.py

It has several niceties that most tools don't have, such as fairly
accurate automatic column sizing and a slew of potential customization
options based on "hints" provided by the field edit codes and
description text. (I will be posting a corresponding cpytoxlsx.py in
the near future for making .xlsx files using the same interface.)

There are similar Excel libraries for PHP, so if you can't be sold on
Python but are still open to dynamic languages, there's definitely
PHP.

John