I've got a situation where I'm using a subfile on an 80-column screen as a table/schema selection prompt in my JDBCR4 project, where I'm listing perhaps hundreds of items that will usually have names that will easily fit in one line, but could theoretically have names up to 128 characters long.

Displaying the records all folded gives a funny-looking screen display with lots of wasted space, but displaying them all truncated could leave long names cut off.

Obviously, I could simply let the user switch between SFLFOLD and SFLDROP for the entire screen, but I was wondering if there was an easy way to selectively fold the records with long names, and drop the ones with short names.

One thought that occurred to me would be to display the excess length on a second subfile record with the selection column field suppressed. Has anybody done anything like that? Is there an easier way to accomplish the desired goal?