OK here is a dumb answer - can you simply make the screen 132 columns??

There must be a reason that you cannot use a wider screen.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of James H. H. Lampert
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2013 3:59 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: Quick question about subfiles

I've got a situation where I'm using a subfile on an 80-column screen as
a table/schema selection prompt in my JDBCR4 project, where I'm listing
perhaps hundreds of items that will usually have names that will easily
fit in one line, but could theoretically have names up to 128 characters
long.

Displaying the records all folded gives a funny-looking screen display
with lots of wasted space, but displaying them all truncated could leave
long names cut off.

Obviously, I could simply let the user switch between SFLFOLD and
SFLDROP for the entire screen, but I was wondering if there was an easy
way to selectively fold the records with long names, and drop the ones
with short names.

One thought that occurred to me would be to display the excess length on
a second subfile record with the selection column field suppressed. Has
anybody done anything like that? Is there an easier way to accomplish
the desired goal?

--
JHHL