Step one: Vary off the tape library on the current partition.
Step two: Move the resource(s) needed to the new partition. With POWER6 and earlier this likely included an IOP and an IOA. With POWER7 only an IOA needs to be moved.
Step three: Allow enough time for the resource move to complete and the receiving partition to recognize and make the resource ready.
Step four: Vary on the tape library on the new partition.

You can likely visualize the process for moving it back. :-)

The move (Step two) is done "as if by magic". You can do it manually. You can do it with a scheduled task on the HMC. You can do it with an SSH connection to the HMC and issue the appropriate commands to the HMC. You can install the Barsa APRM Tool (Free from barsa.com) which gives you the ability to do it within a CL program.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com