MIDRANGE dot COM Mailing List Archive



Home » MIDRANGE-L » January 2013

Re: localhost weirdness



fixed

We do see a lot of 'company.local' stuff out there and I see how that could be a problem. First thing though is your TCP Domain Attributes would need to be set *REMOTE for that to hurt you. Note that IS the default however.

In this case *LOCAL is used for lookup precedence and there is no 'company.local' in use. Name resolution at least in every way we've tried correctly resolves localhost to 127.0.0.1.

Curiously I added localhost.foo.com to our internal DNS with address 127.0.0.1 and placed that name in the scripts. It works. So localhost no workie and localhost.foo.com workie. Very odd.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com

On 1/28/2013 1:33 PM, Lance Gillespie wrote:

We had a weird one that took a week to figure out.

Our domain setup was iseries.company.local and we had host entries
for loopback and localhost at 124.0.0.1.

At some point, a vendor installed a router in you HVAC system and named it company.local

After that, iseries stuff directed to 127.0.0.1 worked fine, but stuff directed to localhost or
loopback did not. The clue was that pinging localhost resolved to a strange address.

We added a host entry for loopback.company.local (not just loopback) pointing to 127.0.0.1
and everything was fine.

Probably not your issue, but the symptoms sound similar.


-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jon Paris
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2013 9:23 AM
To: Midrange-L Midrange-l; Web400@Midrange. Com
Subject: localhost weirdness

(Cross posted to Midrange and Web400)

Having a really weird problem with some PHP scripts that use DB2 connections and the i5_xxxx APIs.

Started when we moved to a new box (which is literally a clone of the original) - scripts that used 'localhost' started failing. Changing to 127.0.0.1 fixed it.

Other problems forced us to switch back to the old box which prior to switching out had been working just fine. It started failing in the same way - only thing that had happened in between was an IPL. No PHP upgrade, no code changes, nothing. Again switching to 127... fixed it.

Opened PMR and IBM requested a trace. No problem - change the script back. Now the original scripts work again with localhost - yet other scripts that use it still fail! Arrrgh - this is beginning to feel like Windows !!

Has anyone experienced anything similar?


Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com




--
This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (MIDRANGE-L) mailing list To post a message email: MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/midrange-l
or email: MIDRANGE-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.






Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2014 by MIDRANGE dot COM and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available here. If you have questions about this, please contact