On Mon, 28 Jan 2013, at 18:33:21, Lance Gillespie <LGillespie@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 18:33:21 +0000
from: Lance Gillespie <LGillespie@xxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: localhost weirdness

We had a weird one that took a week to figure out.

Our domain setup was iseries.company.local and we had host entries
for loopback and localhost at

At some point, a vendor installed a router in you HVAC system and named it company.local

After that, iseries stuff directed to worked fine, but stuff directed to localhost or
loopback did not. The clue was that pinging localhost resolved to a strange address.

We added a host entry for loopback.company.local (not just loopback) pointing to
and everything was fine.

Probably not your issue, but the symptoms sound similar.

Now that would have been a lovely one - but sadly when I ping localhost I get - thanks though for the suggestion.

Jon Paris