On 1/4/13 1:17 AM, Dave wrote:
Keep going James, you are doing some good work and we are all getting the


At this point, I know that (at least in MySQL, which has no concept of RRNs; hopefully I'll know about DB2/400 later this week) you literally are not allowed to obtain an update cursor on a file that lacks a primary key. (You ask for an updateable result set, and it gives you a read-only one anyway).

And it turned out that the tutorial Mark recommended *did* mention that you needed a primary key to get through the update-by-result-set example. But that remark was so inconspicuous that I didn't even find it until after I'd already come to that conclusion, and had spent over an hour trying to find out how to set one up. (You'd think that if a primary key were that important, the JDBC tutorial would have included it in the environment set-up section, and both the MySQL docs and the Sequel Pro helptext would make a point of telling you how to set one up, as well.)

This morning, I went into MySQL again, with Sequel Pro, and created a "multiple identical records" situation, then tried to change one through Sequel Pro. Unlike my previous test with Squirrel on DB2/400, I was actually able to change exactly one out of three identical records, and when I looked at the underlying requests in the console, I found that it had done an UPDATE request with WHERE clause on every field in the record (much the same as Squirrel had done), but also added a "LIMIT 1" clause.

Further research tells me that LIMIT is not standard SQL, any more than RRN is.

Ye vish!


This thread ...


Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page