<snip>
It is a production box and has no downtime except during switch which
happens every 6 months. So, no IPL, no reclaim storage till switch.
</snip>

Since you are on 7.1 I am guessing you have support. Call IBM. Sure you
could run RCLSTG in a hope to clear this up but you still want to call IBM
and see if they can get a fix to stop it from happening again.

We can only IPL once a quarter, after we too perform a switch. The dates
for 2013 are already announced internally.