Alan, web services smoke most of the time if you have a good system.

However if your PHP app is on the same box, why introduce a web service into the mix if all you're doing is talking to the DB or a Program via SPROC.

Guess it depends on the need of the app.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
Where Information Meets Innovation
Document Management, Workflow, Report Delivery, Forms and Business Intelligence
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 736-5800
Fax: (952) 736-5801
Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT

message: 8
date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 17:08:54 -0600
from: Scott Klement <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: What style of RPG program can communicate with PHP?

Well, that depends on how web services are implemented, doesn't?

But, aside from a direct socket connection, I haven't found anything that's faster than web services.

Does your experience differ?