why introduce a web service into the mix ...

A web service may offer support for more "input types" and "output types". Many applications would benefit from having a wider variety than what is possible via stored procedure interfaces. I'm currently working on an interface to support the following for both input types and output types, using JavaScript Object Notation (JSON):

1. Simple variables.
2. Basic arrays.
3. Basic objects.
4. Object arrays.
5. Basic two dimensional arrays.

For example:

http://www.radile.com/rdweb/temp/jsonex.html

You should use your browser view the page source. It strikes me how quickly and easily the browser maps JSON streams to JavaScript objects and how well those objects are supported by the language. It also strikes me how efficient JSON streams are size-wise in comparison to XML.

-Nathan