Well, if I understand you correctly, you're expecting features in a file transfer protocol that just aren't part of ftp. There's no mechanism in ftp to identify a server os or release level save for the unspecified helo type response so difficult to tell if it's a homogenous request. Nor does ftp handle ANY data types at all, never mind blobs. Strictly speaking ftp doesn't even recognize character set differences (ascii/binary modes are only "hints" to the server). Perhaps you're saying that if a bit stream that corresponds to a files' contents on system A were transferred to system B then it should be possible to overlay this bit stream with the exact same file definition and be aok. You'd still have to define how that bit stream was constructed given that the blob isn't necessarily contiguous in storage. Didn't we have SNADs for this sort of thing? (did snads support blobs?)