"in interest of full disclosure..."
We have been on 7.1 since March 2011,
We went to 6.1 from v5r4 on December 2009.

When we started the upgrade project from v5r4 to 6.1 in August 2009,
any vendor who wasn't ready was made a "non-vendor" (there was only 1).
We drug our feet mainly out of fear of the unknown... we didn't really
know what our problems with conversion would be.