Globalization question

fixed

I have several RPG programs which are being deployed via Implementer to several different LPAR's being used by different world areas, one of which is for Europe.

The source files are all defined with CCSID(37), but the European environment is using CCSID(500).

How do I deal with the variant character | (the pipe symbol) across these environments:

In CCSID(37) , the pipe symbol is X'4F', but in CCSID(500) the pipe symbol is X'BB'

for example, in a program I have:

Delimiter = '|';

which works fine in the CCSID(37) environments, but on the CCSID(500) environment it it appears as a ! (exclamation point) since X'4F' in CCSID(500) is the exclamation point.

I know, for example, that in CL programs that the solution is to use *BCAT, *TCAT, or *CAT instead of the symbolic representations |<, |>, or || to get around the character translation issues having to do with variant characters, but I am stumped on how to handle this problem.

- sjl