Scott Klement wrote:
Joe Pluta wrote:
But you could create great looking applications years ago using JSP. You just had to learn Java. And now with EGL, you don't even have to do that.

Absolutely. JSP, JSF, EGL, PHP, Net.Data, CGIDEV2, RPGsp, Valence, WebSmart... the list keeps going, I could probably name 30 ways to create great looking applications.

That's exactly my point.

People are designing 1970 era green screens programs with RDi, or similarly aged line-printer reports with RDi and saying "I'm really modern now, I'm using WDSC/RDi/RDP and you are a dinosaur because you are using green screen tools..."
Okay, I understand your point. It is a bit - well, I wouldn't say hypocritical, but perhaps it misses the larger point to complain about the tool used if you're developing new 5250 applications. It's a bit like demanding someone use a high-powered laser to cut kindling for a wood-fired boiler.

Again, the important thing is whether you produce modern, well-written code, with modern, agile, maintainable business rules, and a modern well-designed UI. THAT is the goal.

The goal *isn't* what editor you type your code in.

True dat. At the same time I gotta tell you that RDi is on average many times more productive than SEU and PDM. Whether you're creating new ILE-based RPG or maintaining old RPG III code, RDi is a better tool. RDP simply raises the bar further by providing superior tooling for display files and printer files. You can argue whether they should or should not be used, but they exist in most shops and they need to be maintained. And any tool that makes it faster and easier for me to maintain existing code gives me extra time to try and write new code the right way.

Do I *like* using RDi to maintain internally described display files? No! <grin> But it still beats trying to do it with SEU.

Joe