Technically, PDM and SEU are not the same thing. But, PDM calls SEU when it needs to edit code.

They both come together as part of a package named ADTS. (Application Development Tool Set) along with a few other things.

Personally, I think the advantages of WDSC/RDi/RDP over PDM/SEU are being constantly overstated in these forums. There are certainly some things that RDi does better, like copy/paste, outline view, syntax highlighting.

But these things aren't the ultra-awesome, revolutionary things that folks in these forums make them out to be. Yes, copy/paste is better in RDi, but I could still do it in SEU, and I could do it pretty well. Yes, outline view is useful, but searching out what I'm looking for also works. Yes, syntax highlighting/coloring can be nice, but I can read my code okay when it's all one color.

Personally, I think the user interface seen by the USER is far more important than the interface seen by the DEVELOPER.