Bryce

I think you overstate here - and since you did not grow up with SEU, you probably can't know all it can do.

I'll comment inline a little.

Bryce Martin wrote:
I think there has been some criss cross of terms going on here.

PDM is not SEU, SEU is a part of PDM.... correct?
Correct. PDM stands for Programming Development Manager. And if you want something primitive by comparison, try STRPGMMNU - it's been around for maybe 20 years or more.

SEU is not part of PDM, it is called by options 2 and 5 of PDM on a source member. PDM itself is part of the same toolset as SEU is.

SEU is actually one of the utilities in what used to be call ADTS - Application Development ToolSet - it is option 21 of 57xx-WDS on one of our systems. This used to include all the following -

The ADTS for OS/400 set of integrated utilities contains:
¹ Programming Development Manager (PDM)
¹ File Compare and Merge Utility (FCMU) (now options 54 & 55 in PDM)
¹ Interactive Source Debugger (ISDB) (still around, can't handle ILE, use STRDBG instead)
¹ Source Entry Utility (SEU)
¹ Data File Utility (DFU)
¹ Screen Design Aid (SDA)
¹ Report Layout Utility (RLU)
¹ Advanced Printer Function (APF)
¹ Character Generator Utility (CGU)

I think SEU is what is usually meant in this thread when comparing with WDSC.

I didn't not grow up with this system so please forgive me. When I talk about advantages of WDSC it is for development purposes over the use of SEU. I do not know what all PDM uses, but I often do system stuff from the command line instead of IBM's snail pased windows alternatives (might be a slight exageration, but I believe only slight). Developing in WDSC/RD(insert letter) is significantly faster than SEU
This is one of those "it depends" things - for our product development, I'll use WDSC - through TurnOver for our product development. It's fantastic and is very productive. I'd never want to do it in SEU. But I won't take the time for doing a 10-line test program in WDSC - SEU is a lot faster, especially when you include the time across the network for submitting compiles and all that. Yes, WDSC offers some cool stuff, but if I want to see errors in a compile, hey, in SEU is a great thing - open the member for edit, press F15, type 2, press Enter. You get the compile listing in a split screen. Type *ERR in the option line and press F16 - try it, you'll like it!! WDSC does it differently, and right now my installation doesn't show me error listings anymore - sigh!!
and you can recoup the learning curve with productivity gains in a month if you are in code all day everyday.
Yes, true enough. But I'm not in code all day everyday - I have to many non-coding tasks, and often this is best done, as you say, in something other than the very slow graphical interfaces.
Happy Friday all!

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I