Were not image catalogs enabled at V5R1 for upgrading to V5R3 only? I have this from the V5R3 Memo to Users

2.3 Upgrading to V5R3 using image catalog support

When you use image catalog support to upgrade to V5R3 from V5R1 or V5R2,
you must apply the following PTFs before you prepare your image catalog
for the upgrade:

* For V5R1, use SI10553
* For V5R2, use SI10563

The Virtual media PTFs required for the corresponding releases are
listed below:

* V5R1M0: SI17565
* V5R2M0: SI17564
* V5R3M0: SI17566

So I don't think there is any way to use image catalogs at V5R1 for installing or applying anything. That is a murky part of my memory from over 6 years ago.

The Memo to Users is at

http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/sline003.nsf/PSP%20Number%20View/SF98086

HTH
Vern

Pete Massiello wrote:
Way back then, you used different parameters for creating the virtual
device.

CRTDEVOPT DEVD(OPTVRT01) RSRCNAME(QVRTOPT)
ONLINE(*YES) TEXT(virtual optical device)

Your image catalogue MUST be a certain name at V5R1. I always used
QUPGRADE1

Then you had to use a special command to initiate the upgrade, and NOT use
PWRDWNSYS

STRVRTINS IMGCLG(QUPGRADE1)

I hope this helps. If you don't have that command, then you need
the required PTFs to get it and image cat support.

Pete

Pete Massiello
iTech Solutions
http://www.itechsol.com