The system still has some significant design strengths. Being able to
easily view a job's call stack. Object authority is very nice and
straight forward. The concept of a job, which persists as it
transitions from job queue, to active, to complete with its associated
output and joblog is great for organizing and troubleshooting work
that runs on a system. Features can be added to joblogs to give them
a hierarchical structure. Also, allow additional info to be stored in
the joblog. Like, a copy of the CSV text stream that was used as input
to a called program. It would be very useful if reports written as XML
documents could be viewed from the perspective of a completed job.
Just like you can currently view spooled output of a job.

Having an integrated database is superior in practice to the database
server concept used in Windows. Superior because it is easier to admin
and write code against an integrated database than a server database.

System backup and recovery works very well on IBM i. Much more
functional that what I know of Windows Server. ( It is amazing that
these great features of the system were design by presumably a handful
of people some 35? years ago )

I see poor performance of components of the system like stream files
and the JVM as an indicator that IBM mgmt has historically starved the
system of development dollars. The 16 meg segment size limit of the
system is a limitation imposed by the capabilities of computer
hardware from the 1970s. SLS has to be overhauled or reevaluated as
the basis of the OS itself. I am fairly sure that a liberal and
sustained application of programmer hours could solve all of the
performance shortcomings of the system.

If the question is can the system remain viable into the future, I
think the answer is a definite yes, but that IBM has to open source
it. IBM is simply not in the operating system, run time framework and
programming language business anymore. Judging by the seeming failure
to hold any of the higher ups accountable for the Moffat fiasco, ( the
day traders were caught on tape scheming about where to place Moffat
next. As in, they had been instrumental in putting him into his
current job, so they could assume they could move him elsewhere. ) I
have zero confidence that anyone running the company has the authority
or vision to run a world class software company.

-Steve

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Scott Klement