Wow. John, in your whole tirade, the only complaint I can see against RPG is that subprocedures require too many lines of code to describe their parameter list... is that correct?

And because of that, you think that nobody uses procedures (Which I don't agree with, by the way. More than 60% of RPG shops are using procedures these days, and the ones who aren't are doing so because they are maintaining the status quo -- not because it's too many lines of code)

I agree with you that "information hiding" (encapsulation) is very important, but RPG does that as well as any other language does. Yes, via procedures.

Really, the biggest problem with this platform isn't RPG. It's OS/400. OS/400 has some modern features, it's true, but by and large it's an outdated OS operating on an outdated paradigm. TCP/IP works on OS/400, but doesn't perform as well as it does on other platforms. Stream-file access (which by all logic should be faster than database!) performs very poorly on OS/400 vs. other platforms. Apache, Java, WebSphere, Tomcat and PHP are all examples of things that we have on OS/400 that perform better on other platforms. OS/400 just isn't designed for the type of workload that these modern techniques require from an OS.

Plus, have you tried installing OS/400? It's not exactly a user-friendly process. You have to go through hundreds of pages of documentation. No other software installation anywhere puts you through that! And the documentation isn't very good. If you aren't already familiar with it from decades of doing it, it's REALLY hard and really scary.

OS/400 (or IBM i -- sorry Trevor) needs a LOT of work if it's going to be viable for the future. It's still designed and optimized for 5250 workloads, and really nothing else.

The other really big problem with this platform is the people don't actively learn and incorporate new concepts. They keep doing things exactly the same way they always have, without learning about new features or how it can help them. Only when the rest of the company puts pressure on them do they take the time to learn something new.

TCP/IP is a great example. With the TCP/IP software I distribute, I've discovered than more than 80% of shops out there don't have the DNS resolver configured on their system. You'd NEVER see this in a Windows or Unix shop. Not only that, but people in this community are baffled about TCP/IP when something doesn't work. No Windows or Unix admin is so ignorant of how TCP/IP works!

There's just this general attitude on this system that people shouldn't change the way they do anything, or learn anything new until they are forced to do so. (That includes RPG programmers as well as OS/400 admins, by the way.)

john e wrote:
To help with this we need to encapsulate complexity.
We need an easy way to express business logic, easily re-use it, easuly define interfaces etc.
What does RPG give to help with this??

Procedures?
Just declaring a procedure - without any parameters - takes six lines of code....
Who uses them.... nobody.