From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of john e
Sent: Monday, December 07, 2009 12:17 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Would it be a reasonable to ask IBM's programmers to, write
a%sortsfl(sfl: column)

Agreed...

IBM should enhance RPGIV to support "collections", like maps and lists.

Anyone saying RPG is a "business language" must be kidding if typical
"business" functions to manipulate, sort, filter and select data is
completely missing and the developer has to resort to primitive
structures like arrays, and calling qsort().

If we have support for collections it's easy to sort and filter data and
put it in a subfile.

It would be a bad idea (but very ala RPG) to add 10 or 20 functions
specifically for manipulating subfile data (like sorting on one column)
etc instead of some well thought-out and more generic constructs.

Instead, we have to something like this:

D DS
D Address 87a Dim(100) Ascend
D Street1 30a Overlay(Address)
D Street2 30a Overlay(Address:*Next)
D City 20a Overlay(Address:*Next)
D State 2a Overlay(Address:*Next)
D Zip 5a Overlay(Address:*Next)

D noLoaded S 10i 0
/Free

SortA %SubArr(City:1:NoLoaded); // Sort into City sequence

SortA %SubArr(State:1:NoLoaded); // Sort in State sequence
And all this is just to sort an array on one column.

Crazy...

Everyone is complaining about the AS/400 not being so popular...

I give you three reasons:

1- the developers
2- the developers
3- the developers

Blinded by the fact that *YES* the OS is marvelous,

but the ecosystem to support application development is horrible.

Why are most AS400 apps still green-screen?
Because... we can

I predict that in 10 years, or even 20 years, most AS400 apps are
*still* green screen.
Just less apps...