Booth,

"When the IBM salesman calls on his AS/400 accounts"
???

I thought IBM salesmen were placed on the Endangered
Species list years ago. I've heard rumors of the
occasional sighting, but they are generally believed
to be extinct. ;-)

Yes, promises, promises, promises, but as the old
Wendy's ads used to say, "Where's the beef?"

PS - I think you're confusing a S/6 for the S/3 Mod.
6. My first Rochester product (after the card
collators & reproducing punches) was the S/3 Mod 10.

...Neil

--- Booth Martin <booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

All of these comments are interesting and make a
point, however there is
a glaring hole in what is being done and said, in my
opinion. First, I
admit to being an IBM bigot, so these opinions would
be tough for a sane
person to substantiate. However I believe many here
will agree with me,
up to a point.

It is my experience that IBM understands and relies
upon their
stakeholders. IBM has a history of leading us in a
particular
direction, and we have generally followed along.
The reason I have
generally gone in the direction that they are push
is two-fold: Since
they know where they are going, if I will accept
their pushes it will be
best for both my career and my pocketbook. That has
proved true for me
personally since my first System 6, model 3 way back
in November of
1971.

However, for the past year or so I am getting the
feeling of being
abandoned. IBM seems to be managing the decline of
the AS/400
nameplate, however they are replacing it with a
vacuum. We had the
System 6, 32, 34, 36, 38, and finally the 400,
There was a clear
pathway. Now, I just see a huge gaping hole. When
the IBM salesman
calls on his AS/400 accounts in the foreseeable
future, what is he going
to be selling them? IBM has only "managed decline"
to offer. Does he
tell his loyal IBM customers to buy Linux?
Microsoft? Oracle? How can
s/he tell them to buy IBM?

I know, I know. Lots of promises from lots of Very
Important People.
But where's the action?

Evan Harris wrote:
Hi Anne

I was really trying to avoid responding to this
thread as well, but over the
last few years two things have convinced me that
what IBM says about
investing in the system i means something entirely
different to them than it
does to me.

The two best indicators I have seen about where
the system i is at are:

- the number of new features that have been worth
getting excited about in
any given release
- the number of Redbooks published (especially
compared to other IBM
offerings)

Both point to a complete stagnation of the
operating system.

I know there have been plenty of new features
added over the last few years
and releases, but realistically most of it has
been aimed at large
corporates with an existing investment, none of it
has been of the gee-whiz
that's cool variety (with the possible exception
of PHP) with the capacity
to attract new customers.

From what I can see IBM is investing simply to
retain the existing customer
base and ensure maximum revenue is extracted for
minimum cost.

Regards
Evan Harris