From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Booth Martin
Sent: Wednesday, 7 May 2008 4:50 p.m.
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: IBM investment in i

All of these comments are interesting and make a point, however there is
a glaring hole in what is being done and said, in my opinion. First, I
admit to being an IBM bigot, so these opinions would be tough for a sane
person to substantiate. However I believe many here will agree with me,
up to a point.

It is my experience that IBM understands and relies upon their
stakeholders. IBM has a history of leading us in a particular
direction, and we have generally followed along. The reason I have
generally gone in the direction that they are push is two-fold: Since
they know where they are going, if I will accept their pushes it will be
best for both my career and my pocketbook. That has proved true for me
personally since my first System 6, model 3 way back in November of
1971.

However, for the past year or so I am getting the feeling of being
abandoned. IBM seems to be managing the decline of the AS/400
nameplate, however they are replacing it with a vacuum. We had the
System 6, 32, 34, 36, 38, and finally the 400, There was a clear
pathway. Now, I just see a huge gaping hole. When the IBM salesman
calls on his AS/400 accounts in the foreseeable future, what is he going
to be selling them? IBM has only "managed decline" to offer. Does he
tell his loyal IBM customers to buy Linux? Microsoft? Oracle? How can
s/he tell them to buy IBM?

I know, I know. Lots of promises from lots of Very Important People.
But where's the action?