I actually feel the opposite of what Mary says. I prefer a smaller, more intimate event. Events like RPG & DB2 Summit or RPG World tend to have fewer people, fewer instructors, etc. With 100-150 people, you get to know the other attendees a little better, and I find that improves the camaraderie. Some of the LUG events fall into this category as well.

I suspect that the COMMON Focus event would have a similar effect, though I didn't participate this time around, so I can't say for certain.

With the great big events, like COMMON's annual conference, there's a much wider range of topics to learn about, and you get to hear from the "big guys" (like Mark Shearer, etc) -- and these are good things -- but I don't find the camaraderie to be as strong.

Kern, Mary T wrote:
While the attendee count has nothing to do with the quality of the
educational offerings, it does add to the excitement and camaraderie.
If 2 educational opportunities were present and one had twice as many
attendees, I would probably pick the larger one ... Assuming the
content was similar in quality and value.