Alan Campin wrote:

Use
Embedded SQL. All the advantages with none of the hassles.
I for one look forward to the day when we no longer have file I/O being
used at all, just SQL but the AS/400 will probably be long gone before
that happens unfortunately.

Alan:

You'd be surprised at how many 'hassles' can appear when you're trying to use embedded SQL in a product for distribution. The product can become extremely sensitive to DB2 PTFs. We had a major issue a few years ago where every _other_ DB2 group would re-break a particular problem. IIRC, it was group 7 thru 13 of that OS/400 release or some range close to that.

When you have many customers, some of whom will apply PTFs as soon as they come out and others of whom might never apply PTFs until our Support asks them to, it can get tricky. A problem appears and our Support requests that a current group be applied; and a newer group comes out that simply breaks it again before the customer has a chance... so, we have to get new PTFs requested from IBM to fix what was broken after the customer followed our advice.

Some releases have quite a few DB2 PTF groups. The major DB2 releases can be trouble -- it'll be 'interesting' when V6R1 arrives.

OTOH, good ol' native RLA can seem very friendly at times.

It's one thing to write code that runs on your own system. You know the environment and have some control. But when you don't know what hardware/software combination is going to wrap around you...?

Setting up test environments can be more than a full-time job.

Tom Liotta