Chuck:

Because of your attempts to let us know 'what _really_ goes on' and to fill in knowledge gaps in odd places, I just want to say "Thank you" for this response below from a few weeks back.

Today, you're providing similar info about restores into QUSRSYS. I believe that many listers are studying what you wrote and feeling a bunch of stuff becoming clear.

It's great for all of us when an IBMer takes this kind of time. Bruce Vining and Barbara Morris are other examples that immediately come to mind. When added to the likes of Scott Klement, for a non-IBM example, it makes this list a truly valuable resource. (...which of course must add David Gibbs in to this.)

Tom Liotta

CRPence wrote:
The Query/400 product, much like most of the languages, is delivered in two parts. There is the interactive definitional portion delivered as the Licensed Program Product [LPP] 57xx-QU1 in QQRYLIB accessed via WRKQRY, and the runtime portion delivered as part of i5/OS. The runtime is accessed by OV/400 merge, some IBM PC based text merge, TXT38 merge, S/36 query & merge object migrations, interactive SQL, and most notably RUNQRY. This split is somewhat a side-effect of the system design and architecture, whereby an /object/ created on one system should be able to be used on another system; not to imply shipping a runtime is unique to object-based. When using the interactive WRKQRY feature a *QRYDFN object is created, and that query definition object should be able to be saved [to a target release that supports the level of function included in the definition] and then able to be restored to any system running i5/OS at or above the saved-to target release. The run-time being an integrated part of the i5/OS enables that.
Disclaimer on the target /release/: The definition of the Query/400 product was such that very few functions should ever prevent previous release saves, and that the ability to get the definition to the previous release trumped preventing unsupported features. The trump due to the feature not being a source-based compiler, that instead it is an interactive menu-based compile, so saving the object irrespective of its functional limitations enables an effective /source/ save -- the object details are available.
Since the Open Data Path [ODP] is an object, and since the Query/400 report writer builds a report from a query ODP, it makes sense that the already existing report writer should be reused rather than one written just for the interactive SQL SELECT processing.
Because non-local access via STRSQL is SQL over DRDA, that same report writer was not the best fit. But another report writer arrived for SQL based Query Management feature which has *QMQRY and *QMFORM. Thus for SQL CONNECT queries, the report writer used by STRSQL is the QM runtime with what is an effective /default form/ like is used on a STRQMQRY of a SELECT QM query which specifies QMFORM(*SYSDFT).
So since the runtime features include the report writer, and that runtime is part of the i5/OS, the LPP is not required. Of course since QM Query is part of 57xx-ST1, the point is somewhat lost -- except to say that the STRQM interactive utility could be /easily/ separated.

Regards, Chuck