On 9/6/07, Larry Bolhuis <lbolhuis@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Booth,

I believe you are on track. The 'Huggable Luggable' was great for demo's
and shows and such but that's a small market. With all the bandwidth
available today that market is satisfied by remote access. For the
developers there is some potential gain in this but a small market once
more. This market too will largely be swallowed up with V6R1 as it can
host virtual i5/OS partitions. So each developer who wants one can have
a partition of their own for 1/10th of a processor and a couple GB of
memory and some disk space. No way that's gonna be more expensive than
an entire system unit plus dasd plus tape and it's own copy of i5/OS
with maintenance and SWMA. The promised Blade implementation may also
address this space as well.

Would IBM like to be able to sell you this desktop developer system? I'm
positive they would! Is there a business case for building it? I don't
think so.

they sell the p5 at a profit. there is a business case for that. Then
for every i5/os user that runs on the p5, IBM gets $250. Also a
common sense business case. No need to administer a developer program
when programmers can purchase marketpriced systems. For IBM to
increase profits in this setting it has to invest in i5/OS
improvements in order to increase the number of users paying to use
it.

-Steve