On 9/6/07, Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: Larry Bolhuis

What many folks don't understand is that the POWER6 i5 model 570s
contain tremendously more than the simple insertion of a faster CPU.

And since I don't normally follow the uber-geek side of things, I would
normally tend to agree that the CPU isn't much of an issue. But in this
case, the POWER6 is actuallty something of a watershed because it will
enable blade versions of i5/OS (i6/OS?) servers

what is a blade server? ( an actual question ) Is it anything like
the p5 505 1U rack mount server?
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/p/hardware/express_entry.html

- and thus the chance of
(dare I say it) a desktop System i. Add to that the fact that IBM claims to
have POWWER6 chips running at 6GHz, and I'm starting to think that maybe
this architecture has some legs...

And don't stop there, kids, because the POWER7 is already in development,
with commercial availability possibly as early as 2010.

All in all, this is a VERY good time to be in the midrange business,
especially as one begins to see the method behind IBM's mad bet on
virtualization, with things like Java and LPARs, since they win as hardware
gets faster.

Dr Frank says IBM is betting on cycles over cores as the way to get
the best performance out of a server. That might work for a single
server running the gunked up sql code I have seen lately. VMWare and
quad core Intel processors can run many multiple servers in a single
box today. ( and who gets all the profit when you have 6 virtual W2K3
servers running on a single quad core xeon box? It is the software
seller because the code is priced per virtual server. )

-Steve