From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of albartell
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2007 4:29 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: GUI development language

If both browser and fat client are equaly good for the user,

Well, that is what I am trying to find out Raul. That's a big *if* - do you
have such an example of an excellent browser app? We keep going down the
rabbit trail of what is good and bad about deployment - I simply want to
discuss solid UI's for the user, and THEN we can get into deployment issues.
I think most people's love for browser is ease of deployment which is an
appropriate love from an IT perspective.

One of the closest I have seen is Zimbra's email browser client, which I
would consider ahead of Outlook Web Access. Demo can be found here:
http://www.zimbra.com/products/hosted_demo.php. Actually, after reviewing
this site again (haven't been to it in about 1 year) it has gotten much
better. I still prefer the raw no-wait power of Outlook. When I am
pounding away in an application all day long, ANY lag can get annoying.
Rich client apps can many times get away from this simply because of what I
would term "better/faster rendering engines".

And last but not least: *security*. Both ways you have concern, but often
people put all the business logic in the fat client because it is easier for
them.
This is why I say "well developed" in my posts, because most of the
population would agree that putting business logic on your desktop isn't a
good idea.

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com