Hi Joe

I won't argue the additional complexity (I couldn't if I wanted to) but the
issue of multiple Operating Systems is fairly solvable by using a virtual
machine. It comes down to whether the extra layer(s) of software is
justified by a productivity gain.

Delivery of updates to a fat or rich client is also reasonably easily
achieved; there are plenty of approaches and products to make this work if
the justification exists.

Since browsers are based on the OS they are just as subject to the vagaries
of modern day OS issues as application software. I've seen and had plenty of
experiences of browsers doing weird things or needing re-installation. With
multiple browsers as potential clients I think it would often be a case of
"it depends" as to whether supporting a browser app is more work than a
rich/fat client, depending on how well the client is written - and that's
definitely an important point, if not the most important.

I'm still not convinced a browser interface can match the Windows interface
- it is a hugely rich and productive environment when it works, just light
years ahead of the browser interface, at least in my opinion. Every complex
browser GUI I have seen just sucks compared to a decent Windows counterpart;
Outlook Web Access was mentioned earlier and it's a great example of how
clunky the web interface can be. The Google Spreadsheet is another. Using
either of these works but is something of an exercise in frustration.

On the other hand, despite the OWA interface, I use it regularly because it
is so readily accessible no matter where I happen to be working. That's a
pretty useful property to have, but I'm not sure I would ditch the full
application.

I think it would be hard to argue the point that a Windows interface is much
more productive than a Browser interface. It's true that for data entry 5250
is probably even more productive than Windows but 2 factors work against
this: the windows interface is well understood by most if not all users and
does not require the training that a 5250 interface requires; secondly, much
more of the work people do now compared to the past is devoted to
information access rather than data entry, so the advantages of the 5250
interface are diminished. It is a poor presentation medium compared to
modern alternatives.

On this last point, I'd have to agree that a browser app can make some
claims as being a better delivery medium than a windows based client in
terms of presentation and access to data, particularly given the fact that
access is no longer tied to the desktop. If lots of interaction with the
data is required then the browser starts to struggle.

Regards
Evan Harris