RE: Updating files from the web

fixed

From: rob@xxxxxxxxx

1 - Saying the iSeries doesn't have column level security and then saying
it does, but you have to do some work, grinds me.

I didn't say that Rob.  In my opinion, view-level security is NOT the same
as column-level security.  To me, column-level security means you can
seamlessly allow and/or disallow various levels of access to individual
columns for different users.  Having to create different views for each
combination of columns security settings is NOT column-level security, and
has the potential to become unworkable.  I'm not saying it's not possible,
just that the view-level control technique is not as flexible as true
column-level security.

And as far as end users go, they ought to be able to use their favorite GUI
tools to access stored procedures that return results sets (via multiple
occurrence data structures).  If not, that's a serious deficiency in the
entire SQL framework.  And this could significantly reduce end user work,
especially if you do a lot of the internal calculations (Onhand = opening
plus receipts minus issues plus adjustments) for them.

Joe