Load your data to the iSeries as an alpha field. Then copy/move the data to a file with the numeric field you need. First thing to try is CPYF-- it's remarkably adept at reformatting data these days! If that doesn't work, it would take a program. But you won'y have to change that half dozen!

--Paul E Musselman

Steve wrote (in part)--

If we make the field alphanumeric then it works perfectly but we would rather not change half a dozen programs to make them handle an alpha field instead of the numeric.

Anybody any ideas?