On 11/14/06, DeLong, Eric <EDeLong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Your statement was "MSFT is really good about maintaining backwards >compatibility"....
This has NEVER been a focus of MS....  With MS, when they >come out with their next generation of
development tools, one must either decide >to abandon their current projects and start again in the
new platform, OR they >can just stay a a backlevel release and continue until MS drops support for
their >version.

and I stand by it, Eric. What evidence do you have of a new release of
Windows breaking old software? The drivers?  I guess there are some
because MSFT, to its credit, is not reluctant to rewrite core
components of their OS. But vendors are given plenty of notice when
changes like this are coming down the pike. IBM has probably had Vista
for 12 months now, esp the technical specs. If they have not been able
to test everything and assure their users that client access will
work, then that is their fault.